Appalachian Trail Conservancy
Strategic Plan 2021-2024
Ensuring a Bright Future for the Appalachian Trail.
Natural Beauty and Climate Resiliency
- Protect an additional 100,000 acres of A.T. lands in three years.
- Build capacity in science and resource management to preserve a healthy and resilient A.T.
- Execute a robust policy advocacy program.
Protect the A.T. Experience
- Develop a Trail-wide visitor use management (VUM) program.
- Draft a carrying capacity approach for the Appalachian Trail.
- Adequately inform, educate, and prepare Trail visitors.
Strengthen Shared Stewardship
- Make volunteering open to all and easy to do.
- Plan for the second century of cooperative management.
- Enhance resources to strengthen A.T. agency partnerships.
Enhance Communication Strategies
- Develop a multi-channel communications and branding strategy.
- Develop a comprehensive Visitor Experience and Interpretation Plan.
Bolster ATC’s Infrastructure and Funding
- Lay the groundwork for a centenary campaign and celebration.
- Strengthen and re-organize ATC’s fundraising efforts.
- Improve ATC’s digital infrastructure and experience.
- Develop a framework to manage risk.
Engage New People and New Partners
- Create an engagement program for younger and more diverse audiences.
- Create a culture oriented toward justice, equity, diversity and inclusion.
- Create an A.T. Communities framework to better define roles and responsibilities.