Steve Abell

Stephen W. Abell, age 91, passed away at his home on Feb 18, 2010, after a long battle with Parkinson’s. Steve was a long time volunteer with the Massachusetts Appalachian Trail Management Committee.  Steve started volunteering on the A.T. with the Mt Greylock Ski Club in the 1950’s.  He served as a trail maintainer, shelter builder, and performed as a leader of shelter maintenance, trail maintenance, mowing coordinator as well as serving on the A.T. Committee for many, many years.  Steve always loved the outdoors and reveled in the challenges of building bog bridges, privies, and shelters along the A.T. in the Berkshires.

Steve received his 50 year service award in 2003.  He was a very modest volunteer, and avoided blowing his own horn or seeking the spotlight.  Once, when honored for his volunteer work, he protested, saying such honors “embarrassed” him.  Steve also was a committed blood donor to the American Red Cross, and loved to travel with his wife both in the US and abroad.

If you have a memory of Steve you would like to share, you may add your comments below.  Please include your name with your comments.

Anonymous @ 2/28/2010 12:38:23 PM

Steve was perhaps the epitome of the AT volunteer. Knowing Steve from our days together as GE draftsman, over 60 years ago, he kept up his efforts it seems forever. He was not only a trail person, but other wise also a most fervent outdoorsman. He had many stories to tell, and he could keep us entertained whenever we were out on a work party. He will be missed. Losing two people like Steve and Kay Wood, both in their 90’s, within a few days of each other, is a very sad time for all AT volunteers.

Simeon Wood, AMC and ATC member
Anonymous @ 3/11/2010 6:11:49 AM

I worked with Steve moving a privy at the Mark Nopel Shelter. After several members made comments on naming the shelter after Steve the stories started. Steve says he wanted to have the trail on the Taconic range which would of made Massachusetts a long stretch of going though no towns. He ended up leaving the working party via the “road” that brought parts of the shelter to where it sits today. He bushwacked his way to his car at the Jones Nose parking lot. Myself and fellow ridge runner Ryan wanted to have the same vigor that he displayed and couldn’t stop talking about him that summer.

Scott Mc Ginnis