Maine – Kennebec River Ferry Service – 2021
(5/28/2021) The Kennebec River is the most formidable unbridged crossing along the entire A.T. Do not attempt to ford the river. Please use the free ferry service.
Schedule for 2021
The Kennebec Ferry will operate May 28 to September 30 in 2021.
The hours of operation are as follows:
May 28 – June 30 from 9 a.m. – 11 a.m.
July 1 – September 30 from 9 a.m. – 2 p.m.
Be mindful of COVID-19: Maintain 6’ distance from others while waiting for the Ferry
The Kennebec River is the most formidable, crossing on the A.T.:
• The Kennebec is approximately 400 feet wide with a swift, powerful current.
• As a result of water releases from multiple hydro facilities on the river, the depth and current of the river surge quickly and unpredictably. You cannot cross faster than the water level rises!
• Even at the lowest water levels, slippery rocks and strong currents make fording dangerous.
• Arrive early in the time period to ensure a safe and enjoyable crossing.
• If, in the judgment of the ferry operator, river or weather conditions make the crossing dangerous, the service will be discontinued until conditions improve.
• Hikers are required to complete and sign a release form, wear a life jacket, and follow instructions.
• Groups of 6 or more – call or email the Ferry Operator to schedule a crossing. Arrive early!
• Pending availability, service outside of the regular season (see above dates) may be arranged for a $50 fee per crossing (1 or 2 hikers). Please call or e-mail in advance to make arrangements.
• No service will be available between November 1, 2021 and April 30, 2022.
Do not attempt to ford the river. Please use the Ferry Service; no fee required.
For more information about the Kennebec Ferry Service, visit the Maine Appalachian Trail Club’s Kennebec River Ferry page.Back