Appalachian Trail Conservancy
Strategic Plan 2023-2026
Ensuring the Appalachian Trail and Its Surrounding Landscape Are Protected Forever for All to Enjoy.
A Conserved and Connected A.T. Landscape
- Protect priority lands of the A.T. landscape to ensure their wild, scenic, and cultural wonders are preserved for future generations.
- Conserve the biodiversity and functional connectivity of natural resource ecosystems in the A.T. landscape.
- Increase awareness about the A.T. landscape’s critical function in advancing climate resiliency in the Appalachians.
A World-Class A.T. Experience for Generations
- Sustainably maintain the A.T. treadway, campsites, shelters, and other infrastructure to the highest standards.
- Advance educational initiatives that will inform Trail visitors about safely and responsibly enjoying the A.T.
An A.T. Community Welcoming to All People
- Expand the community of people who care about the A.T. and will contribute to its future by providing opportunities that suit varying needs and interests, from volunteering to workforce skills development.
- Remove barriers of access, with a focus on people in groups that have been historically under-represented in outdoor recreation.