Techs will be hired for a 14-week season, from late-May through late–August. This seasonal position is full-time at a rate of $15.00 per hour. Fieldwork will occur along the Appalachian Trail primarily in Pennsylvania. There are three positions available for 2021.
The Visual Resource Inventory process is used to identify scenic quality and importance for views within and extending beyond the Appalachian Trail (A.T).
Field techs will work with a core team of agency, ATC staff, and trained volunteers to complete a detailed visual resource inventory of all 90+ A.T. viewpoints in Pennsylvania. This work will require hiking to designated viewpoints and collecting data using the National Park Service Enjoy the View protocol. Fieldwork trips may require multi-day backpacking and camping. Techs will also be responsible for uploading, organizing, and performing quality checks on data.
Employees are required to fulfill Pennsylvania’s travel requirements and ATC’s standard operating procedures intended to minimize the risk of exposure to the COVID-19 virus.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Work in a close partnership team with the other Visual Resource Inventory Technicians, the Visual Resource Inventory Project Manager and volunteers
- Become proficient in fieldwork and data recording protocols
- Perform fieldworkcataloguing the A.T. views and vistas in Pennsylvania
- Regularly use technology including a GPS, mirrorless camera with manual functions, ArcGIS software, scanner and computer
- Assure the qualityand organization of detailed monitoring data
- Travel to and from work sites, camping at or near work sites as appropriate (some gear may be provided as needed)
- Organize, inventory, and maintain tools, supplies and equipment
- Assist with volunteer training and instruction
- Collaborate with ATC staff, volunteer clubs, and partner organizations in project planning, development, and reporting
- Some long days and weekends may be required
- Other duties as assigned
Qualifications and Skills
- Demonstrated ability of exceptional attention to detail and ability to follow protocols and workflows
- Ability to work as a part of a team, with rotating responsibilities
- Possess excellent communication or instructional skills
- Ability to work without direct supervision while encouraging cooperation among a crew
- Education and/or experience managing data
- Education and/or experience in any of the following: conservation, resource management, recreation, environment
- Education and/or knowledge of art and/or photography
- Willingness to work and camp in backcountry setting under challenging weather conditions
- Understanding and practice of Leave No Trace Principles
- Familiarity and experience using GPS technology
- Familiarity with ArcGIS software desired
- Familiarity and experience using mirrorless camera with manual functions desired
- Valid driver’s license with no restrictions
- Traversing 10 miles or more per day in rugged terrain, variable weather, and remote locations
- Transporting equipment and gear weighing up to 40 pounds
- Regular travel to trail access points in Pennsylvania
- Long days in the field may be required
- Possible use of ATC-provided vehicle; use of personal vehicle is reimbursed at the federal mileage rate
- Housing stipend of $400/month available if permanent address >50 miles from Boiling Springs, PA
- Health insurance available
Please submit a cover letter, resume and contact information for three professional references to ADP. Please state how you heard about this job in your cover letter.
ATC Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
ATC encourages collaboration, flexibility, and fairness with all employees and volunteers to enable participation and contributions to their fullest potential. We are committed to being a diverse and inclusive organization and recognize that diversity contributes to an effective and successful organizational culture and mission. ATC prohibits discrimination in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and/or expression), national origin, political affiliation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, political affiliation, union membership, or any other status protected by the laws and regulations in the locations where we operate.