Position Title: Monson Visitor Center Assistant
Location: Farmington, ME
Supervisor: Regional Manager- Maine
Status: Seasonal, Non-exempt
The Appalachian Trail Conservancy’s mission is to protect, manage, and advocate for the Appalachian National Scenic Trail.
The incumbent will assist in all aspects of the Monson A.T. Visitor Center through the summer months.
The Visitor Center’s core mission is to address the increased popularity of the Appalachian Trail in northern Maine and Baxter State Park, concerns with hiker behavior, and to support the growing ecotourism industry in the Moosehead Lake region. Incumbent will assist staff for the Visitor Center on various projects as well as take on a project of their own. Projects could include curriculum development, outreach material development or event series planning. In the Visitor Center, the incumbent will be the primary point of contact for all visitors to the Visitor Center including thru-hikers, section hikers, short term backpackers, day hikers camp groups and casual visitors. They will provide education on Leave No Trace, management regulations and visitor expectations in Baxter State Park, day hiking opportunities in the area and trail and river conditions. They may also provide on-trail interpretation and education.
Incumbents will be expected to work together with the Visitor Center Manager, Ridgerunner and Visitor Center Representative and Maine Regional Manager as a team, and also cooperatively with Appalachian Trail Conservancy staff, Maine Appalachian Trail Club (MATC) volunteers and staff, Monson A.T. Community volunteers, Monson town staff and Baxter State Park staff. They also may be expected to work weekend days and some holidays.
Incumbents will have the opportunity for learning multiple aspects of on-the-ground visitor use management and education. Educational and networking opportunities will also be available to the incumbent.
Incumbents should be available June 15th through September 30th.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist seasonal staff in operations of the Monson A.T. Visitor Center
- Advise thru-hikers and section hikers on the regulations and expectations for A.T. hikers in Baxter State Park
- Provide appropriate local hike recommendations for those wishing to explore the A.T. and other trails in the general vicinity and inform visitors of local regulations
- Provide up-to-date assessments of trail and ford conditions in the 100 Mile Wilderness region
- Promote ATC and MATC membership through positive customer interactions that convey ATC’s and MATC’s missions
- Assist with small store operations, stocking and inventory
- Complete an internship capstone project by the end of the internship
- Other duties as assigned
- Interest in the Appalachian Trail and resource protection
- Educational or work experience with curriculum development, environmental interpretation or resource management
- Interest in Leave No Trace principles and teaching responsible hiking practices
- Customer service experience preferred
- Proven ability to work alone with minimal supervision
- Excellent communication, organization and education skills
- Ability to interact with visitors with varied levels of experience under sometimes stressful conditions
- Proficiency with computers including but not limited to proficiency with the internet, Microsoft Office software and email.
- Current first-aid and CPR certification preferred (Wilderness First-Aid certification is preferable)
Physical Demands and Work Environment
- Moderate noise level due to visitor-center environment with a high level of conversation and crowds from time to time.
- Periods of standing on feet from time to time indoors.
- Ability to lift and move moderate weight (50+ pounds)
- Exposure to odors associated with natural and outdoor activities and those that may have been engaged in activities in natural or outdoor settings for an extended length of time.
Please follow the link to ADP below. All files attached should be “[your last name]_[your first name]_[file name]”.
If you have questions about the position, please email [email protected] Please include the position title and your name in the email subject line. Priority will be given to those who apply by January 15, 2021.