Public Relations Internship
Mar 9, 2016, 13:49 PM
Harpers Ferry, West Virginia
Marketing and Communications
Director, Marketing and Communications
Internship - Unpaid, Living Stipend Provided
The Appalachian Trail Conservancy (ATC) is searching for a public relations intern to assist with the organization’s ongoing media efforts. This internship will offer valuable experience with news and media relations in the nonprofit sector. Guidance and training will be provided. The public relations intern will also receive a stipend to assist with housing and other living costs.
The ATC marketing and communications department will be spearheading multiple initiatives this year in order to further develop its nationwide media outreach and provide a greater connection with Appalachian Trail hikers and communities. We aim to solidify our position as the official voice for the Trail, providing information to a broad, diverse audience of all ages while preserving the unique character of the A.T. hiking community. We will also continue our educational initiatives concerning Leave No Trace principles and backcountry ethics, and our advocacy campaigns focused on preserving at-risk areas along the length of the Trail.
The public relations intern will be responsible for:
- Assisting the ATC in targeting its media outreach by researching and creating relevant lists of media contacts.
- Developing a list of top influencers, bloggers and journalists that cover conservation issues and/or outdoor recreation.
- Drafting basic public relations materials such as fact sheets or media pitches.
- Conducting interviews with ATC staff in order to draft press releases.
- Documenting and monitoring media coverage.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Background in marketing, communications, English or other related disciplines
- Strong communications and writing skills
- Familiar with social networking sites
- Ability to work individually and self-driven projects
- Attention to every information and accuracy in performance
- Highly self-motivated individual
- Desire to learn and contribute
- Working on the computer for prolonged periods.
- Ability to communicate with individuals by phone, e-mail and in person.
- Sitting for prolonged periods.
- Shared/open office environment with modest noise level.
To apply for this position please submit your resume to: [email protected]. All resumes should be emailed as a Microsoft Word document, saved as "Last Name_First Name". Please indicated in your email (preferable in the subject line) the position you are applying for along with the term. For example "Public Relations Internship_Spring 20XX".
Spring Term: Applications due second week of January.
Summer Term: Applications due second week of April.
Fall Term: Applications due last week of August.
ATC Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
ATC encourages collaboration, flexibility, and fairness with all employees and volunteers
to enable participation and contributions to their fullest potential. We are committed to
being a diverse and inclusive organization, and recognize that diversity contributes to an
effective and successful organizational culture and mission. The ATC prohibits discrimination
in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity
and/or expression), national origin, political affiliation, marital status, disability, genetic
information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military
service, political affiliation, union membership, or any other status protected by the laws and
regulations in the locations where we operate.
Position Type :
Careers - Internship