Oct 25, 2017, 08:17 AM
Claire Polfus, Maine Program Manager
The Conservation Department of the Appalachian Trail Conservancy (ATC) ensures the permanent protection and stewardship of Appalachian Trail Lands (ATC lands) and Appalachian National Scenic Trail lands (National Park Service lands) and their associated resources through effective implementation of a cooperative management system involving ATC, Trail-maintaining clubs, and public-agency partners.
The mission of the Maine Youth Trail Stewardship Coalition (MYTaSC) is to encourage more youth to work on Maine’s trails by providing skill development opportunities and stewardship events and fostering connections with volunteer and professional trail organizations. MYTaSC is led by a leadership team made of professionals from trail and conservation organizations, teachers, and college and high school students. The MYTaSC Leadership team organizes three events every year. The flagship event is a Trail Skills Summit in the winter where young people from across Maine gather to attend skill-building workshops taught by trail and outdoor profssionals. The two other events are on-trail – a stewardship day in the spring that focuses on entry-level trail skills and a more in-depth stewardship weekend in the fall.
The MYTaSC intern will assist the Maine Program Manager with coordinating the coalition, planning MYTaSC events, doing outreach for MYTaSC to area high schools and colleges and thinking strategically about the future of the coalition. The internship will be approximately one afternoon a week from October through May, with the expectation that the intern will attend weekend MYTaSC events. Location for work is flexible, but some work from the ATC office in Farmington, ME will be expected.
- Assist in coordinating MYTaSC events before and during events
- Do outreach to area high schools and colleges for MYTaSC
- Help find funding opportunities to create a sustainable future for MYTaSC
- Other projects related to MYTaSC
- Interest in the trail building, stewardship and management
- Interest in event coordination and outreach
- Experience working with youth, especially in an outdoor setting
- Excellent communication, organization and education skills
- Proficiency with computers including but not limited to proficiency with the internet, Microsoft Office software and email.
- Office time will be in a shared office with moderate noise levels
- Outdoor events will be on Maine hiking and biking trails with unsure footing and steep slopes and potentially in inclement weather in fall and spring
- Ability to lift and move moderate weight (50+ pounds)
To apply please email a cover letter and resume to Claire Polfus at [email protected] All resumes should be titled as “Last Name_First Name.” Please include the position title and your name in the email subject line. If you have questions about the position, please send an email [email protected]. Position is opened until filled.
- $1,000 internship stipend
- Mileage reimbursements for miles driven for internship-related activities
ATC Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
ATC encourages collaboration, flexibility, and fairness with all employees and volunteers
to enable participation and contributions to their fullest potential. We are committed to
being a diverse and inclusive organization, and recognize that diversity contributes to an
effective and successful organizational culture and mission. The ATC prohibits discrimination
in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity
and/or expression), national origin, political affiliation, marital status, disability, genetic
information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military
service, political affiliation, union membership, or any other status protected by the laws and
regulations in the locations where we operate.
Position Type :
Careers - Internship