The Appalachian Trail Conservancy’s mission is to preserve and manage the Appalachian Trail – ensuring that its vast natural beauty and priceless cultural heritage can be shared and enjoyed today, tomorrow, and for centuries to come.
The Appalachian Trail Conservancy (ATC) has published guidebooks, maps, and other books since the 1930s and sold a range of other merchandise items since the 1970s. Today, it offers more than 400 products to individual consumers and a robust network of outdoor retailers and bookstores, with revenues exceeding $1 million a year.
The successful candidate would be an active hiker, an accomplished photographer, an adept explorer of social media beyond the mainstream leaders, a meticulous researcher experienced in retail or wholesale business, and a successful communicator in print and in person.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Concentrate on developing ATC’s merchandise offerings, specifically to Appalachian Trail (A.T.) users, and, simultaneously, engage deeply with its current and prospective customers through a multitude of Internet avenues.
- Work closely with the publisher and sales manager to analyze customers’ interests, respond with new or revised merchandise items, and engage with customers in various ways.
- Maintain the content (text and images) of the Ultimate Appalachian Trail Store Web site and a yet-to-be-developed network of niche social-media avenues. Active engagement with the public would be a key element of the latter.
- Be thoroughly knowledgeable of ATC’s inventory, sales patterns at several levels, market research and trade news, and A.T. users’ preferred accessories and gear.
- Bachelor’s degree in the liberal arts or equivalent, relevant experience.
- 3-5 years of responsible, professional experience in one or more of the following fields: nonprofit public-interest membership organizations, publishing, marketing, or retail/wholesale sales.
- Excellent editing and writing skills in a traditional style, computer literacy, knowledge of the outdoor retail marketplace, and the ability to integrate diverse information into organizational strategies.
- Ability to communicate effectively with all levels of staff, Trail users, and customer types.
- Energetic, creative, and self-motivated assistant
- Active hiker
- Accomplished Photographer
EXPLORE MORE POSITIONS
Submit cover letter, resumé, and recent writing sample to [email protected] with position listed in subject line..
Please, no telephone calls. Only responses to [email protected] will be considered.