MARO Visitor Center Volunteer - PA
Jul 2, 2019, 11:34 AM
Boiling Springs, PA
Visitor Center Volunteers ensure a positive experience for those visiting the Appalachian Trail Conservancy (ATC) visitor centers, to complement the staff in providing information about the A.T. and ATC to the public, and to assist in recruiting new members.
Volunteers in this position say being a “Porch Director” is a fun and interesting way to spend a shift, talking with visitors and helping people learn about and find enjoyment in exploring the A.T., or the Boiling Springs/Cumberland Valley area.
- Provide a friendly greeting and orientation to those visiting the ATC visitor center, tailoring that process to visitors’ needs and interests. (Number of visitors ranges from low of 1 or 2 in later fall to as many as 70 or more in summer.)
- Inspire visitors to support the A.T. through membership in the Appalachian Trail Conservancy.
- Recommend local hikes to visitors - Provide information about local services and attractions.
- Ring up purchases and memberships on cash register.
- Reflect Leave No Trace principles in responses to the public.
- Assist staff in keeping visitor center clean and tidy and keeping information materials stocked.
- Reporting your volunteer hours.
- Enjoys meeting people.
- Outgoing, friendly personality - Good listener.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Customer service experience.
- Familiarity with Central PA day-hikes - Familiarity with Boiling Springs and Carlisle services and attractions or willingness to learn
- Familiarity with Appalachian Trail and Appalachian Trail Conservancy or willingness to acquire knowledge.
- Ability to work independently, arrive on time and respect the organization and the offices in the building.
- Familiarity with Leave No Trace principles, skills and practices specific to the Appalachian Trail, or willingness to learn.
ATC Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
ATC encourages collaboration, flexibility, and fairness with all employees and volunteers
to enable participation and contributions to their fullest potential. We are committed to
being a diverse and inclusive organization, and recognize that diversity contributes to an
effective and successful organizational culture and mission. The ATC prohibits discrimination
in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity
and/or expression), national origin, political affiliation, marital status, disability, genetic
information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military
service, political affiliation, union membership, or any other status protected by the laws and
regulations in the locations where we operate.
Position Type :
Careers - Volunteers