Creative Graphic Design & Web Manager
Harpers Ferry, WV
Marketing & Communications
Director of Marketing & Communications
The Appalachian Trail Conservancy’s mission is to preserve and manage the Appalachian Trail – ensuring that its vast natural beauty and priceless cultural heritage can be shared and enjoyed today, tomorrow, and for centuries to come.
The Marketing and Communications Department's Mission: To be the public voice of the Appalachian Trail Conservancy, uniting the organization under a banner of informative and relatable material that will help protect and celebrate the Appalachian Trail.
The Marketing and Communications Department's Values: We operate with the understanding that our colleagues within the organization, the A.T. community, and the broader conservation community depend on us for support and resources. We are equally dependent on the support and input of these individuals and communities, ensuring that diverse viewpoints are heard and communicated on a variety of issues. It is our priority to: understand the prominent issues facing the A.T.; to identify accurate information; and to synthesize this information into meaningful, compelling, and digestible educational content.
The professionalism that we strive for in this context requires not only responsibility, agility, and a deep connection with our audience — it also calls for creativity. This approach means embracing inspiration from our audience while inspiring others to help carry the ATC’s mission, driving the innovation of the department.
Our efforts require reflection and assessment to measure our effectiveness and evaluate areas needed for improvement. We inject into these processes the value and recognition of the unique voices across our organization and A.T. community while presenting a clear and consistent ATC brand.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Under general supervision, the Creative Graphic Design and Web Manager is responsible for designing and developing of the ATC’s digital and print collateral materials (including graphic design and copy) such as online ads, sale sheets, brochures, flyers, event graphics, etc. The incumbent will also be responsible for designing, programming, and maintaining ATC websites through Sitefinity, ATC’s content management system.
Project Management – 60%
- Manages project from start to finish ensuring project is completed in a timely manner.
- Works with staff and volunteers to gather details about their web or graphic design project compiling details, providing recommendations, and developing a timeline.
- Proof reads and works with editors to implement text corrections and layout revisions.
- Coordinates the development and production of web and graphic design projects using a team of contractors.
- Develops and manages business contracts and arrangements with related contractors and vendors.
- Manages and trains media interns, contractors, and volunteers.
- Coordinates the production of A.T. Journeys Magazine.
- Drafts and manages a budget including tracking payments, invoices, and purchase orders.
- Ensures all collateral materials adheres to ATC’s style guidelines, providing guidance and training to staff and volunteers as needed.
- Manages and restocks inventory throughout ATC’s headquarters and regional offices including stationary, collateral materials, and promotional items.
- Performs other duties as assigned to help meet the goals and objectives of the department.
Web – 30%
- Designs, programs and manages ATC’s websites through Sitefinity, ATC’s content management system. This includes developing pages, updating content, SEO, monitoring site performance, and researching latest trends.
- Monitors overall site performance and browser compatibility.
- Ensures web sites are current and contain the most up-to-date information.
- Maintains ATC's photographic database and responses to individuals and publishers requests.
Graphic Design – 10%
- Designs and produces items for office or program use, such as stationary, information sheets, print and digital templates, brochures, booklets, and event materials.
- Conducts photo research, illustration, implementing text corrections, advertisement design, and print coordination.
- Provides guidance on appropriate use of ATC logos and trademarks.
- Responsible for coordinating and preparing files for print production.
- Bachelor's degree in graphic design, fine arts, or equivalent experience or education combined with college courses in computer science and hands-on computer experience is required.
- At least 3 years of related field experience.
- Knowledge of Adobe Products: Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign as well as Microsoft Office 365.
- Knowledge programming ecommerce and mobile websites.
- Excellent creative, design and proofreading skills.
- Strong mathematical and organizational skills.
- Knowledge of professional printing practices and standards.
- Working on the computer for prolonged periods.
- Ability to communicate with individuals by phone, e-mail and in person.
- Extensive proofreading requires adequate vision and focus.
- Shared office environment with modest noise level.
EXPLORE MORE POSITIONS
To apply please follow the attached link to begin the application process.
All resumes and cover letters should be emailed as a Microsoft Word document or as a PDF, saved as “Last Name_First Name_RESUME OR COVER LETTER.” Please indicate in the subject line of your email that you are applying for this position (for example, “Creative Graphic & Web Designer Application").
Applications will be accepted until the position has been filled.